Vibe Cellular.com Animated

Saturday 3 October 2009

Ultimate Pocket PC Customization - Part I

Have you ever noticed that, when you buy a new PocketPC (PPC) at the store, it has all this extra software usually related to whatever carrier you use? This software is all stuff that will bog down your phone and turn it from lightning fast into turtle slow. These programs not only take up your phone's memory, but they're there to serve as a marketing opportunity for your carrier. Some of this software may have a use but, for the most part, it is a useless waste of space on your phone. The good news is that there is something you can do to liberate your phone ... it's called flashing a ROM.

Flashing a ROM can be a scary concept for many folks, as essentially what you are doing is deleting the entire operating system from your phone and starting from scratch. To be up front about it, there are some downsides to flashing a new ROM on your phone. One of the things is "bricking" your phone. If you don't follow the steps closely, "bricking" your phone basically turns it into a useless piece of junk. The other negative to flashing a new ROM is that you do void your warranty unless it is an authorized ROM from the manufacturer or carrier.

The plus side of flashing a new ROM is HUGE! First of all, you are getting rid of all the carrier garbage and returning it to the type of functionality intended by the manufacturer. Another bonus is that most of the time you vastly improve the device and make it much better.

When I flashed my first ROM, it was a "white knuckle" experience where I kept thinking to myself "why am I ruining my phone?" I made sure to follow the instructions carefully, and, while it was nerve racking, the results made it all worth while. Today I probably flash a new ROM 2 or 3 times a month depending on when my favorite "chef" has made some changes. Every time I change ROMs, it feels like I have a new phone. Functionality is usually better, and, in the long run, has allowed me to stay with phones longer. Previous to flashing ROMs I was buying new phones pretty frequently and constantly searching for new functions and better user interfaces.

So if you are looking to unleash the power in your PocketPC, flashing a new ROM may be your answer. In following articles, I will be talking about some of the things to consider before taking the leap to your first flash.

Bennett is a cell phone enthusiast how has interests in all types of mobile technology. You can check out his latest website http://www.payasyougocellphone.net which discusses prepaid wireless phones.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Bennett_Petrescu
by: Bennett Petrescu

0 comments:

Followers

LinkShare_468x60v1
Free Backlinks
Free Automatic Backlink
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online